World of War Heroes – Official Thread

• Moderators

@Frostion 10 ms is also beyond what a human eye can properly perceive, as it means 100 frames per second (for example, theatres go at 24 frames per second, and YouTube goes mostly at 30 or 60 frames per second). Moreover, if you have any display with less than 100 frames per second, the process will even fail to be fully displayed.

So, I'm not really against running it superfast, but, in this case, as I said, I would suggest to make it actually instant, rather than 10 ms (running all the steps in the background and changing the board view at once when all its done).

• Admin

@Cernel Even though it states 10 ms, it is much slower in reality. Maybe because it is 10 ms + the time used for calculation.

• Admin

@Frostion It appears that it was actually doing 10ms + AI pause duration + calc/display time. I'm going to just remove the 10ms and AI pause duration. It goes a bit faster then though still not instant given the size of the map. I think it would probably be close to instant on a smaller map. I don't think this should cause any issues and I tested it on some local games.

PR: https://github.com/triplea-game/triplea/pull/4774

• Donators Moderators Admin

@Frostion Looks incredible. Fans of this franchise will surely have to play one handed for quite a while. 🙂

• Admin

@redrum Nice. Unfortunately my ISP and router is down at the moment, so I have not been able to download the newest pre-releases for some days now. I am practically off line with my PC and only online with my phone. But that does ofcours not hinder me in continuing the map making progress 😊

@Hepps Thank you. Right now I am making a new place.txt for this WoWH map and manually picking every single land placement spot on the 400+ territory map. You probably know the feeling and have experienced your self how tiring it can be, duing monotone map work and struggling to stay awake, since ones mind seems to shut down slowly. I really hate this step of map making, but I think that the end result is worth the effort. ☺ Especially when this map's tiles has road, mountains, small lakes and likewise drawn on the map, it makes sense to not have buildings standing in the middle of roads or in a lake. Also it makes sense to see the harbour building units be located at sea, not inland. The players of a map might not notice if a map uses auto-placements or manually picked spots, but I am sure it contributes subconsciously to the game experience.

• Donators Moderators Admin

@Frostion said in World of War Heroes – Official Thread:

@Hepps Thank you. Right now I am making a new place.txt for this WoWH map and manually picking every single land placement spot on the 400+ territory map.
    You probably know the feeling and have experienced your self how tiring it can be, duing monotone map work and struggling to stay awake, since ones mind seems to shut down slowly. I really hate this step of map making, but I think that the end result is worth the effort. ☺ Especially when this map's tiles has road, mountains, small lakes and likewise drawn on the map, it makes sense to not have buildings standing in the middle of roads or in a lake. Also it makes sense to see the harbour building units be located at sea, not inland.
    The players of a map might not notice if a map uses auto-placements or manually picked spots, but I am sure it contributes subconsciously to the game experience.

I think players will (as you say at least subconsciously) notice how clean and logical the map looks... whether they fully comprehend or appreciate what it takes to achieve such a thing on a map of such a grandiose scale... well only a map maker truly knows and admires such work for what it takes to achieve it.

I'll be interested to see how you achieve the harbour building to be at sea... since the units within a given territory can change positions based on what is in them. But then again... if they are the only 0 PU unit... then they should always be the first placement.

• Admin

@Hepps Well given that the ordering is better defined now after I made some changes a while back, you should be able to ensure the locations of at least certain types of units like infrastructure.

Reference: https://forums.triplea-game.org/topic/681/group-and-sort-units-onto-placements-logically

Who's Online
Visitors Today