Can you create canals with one end being land, the other being sea?
If so, I would to allow better air unit movement. Though at the moment, I don't think its an issue. The air units are intended to be used for land combat anyways.
Only light blue sea zones connect to land, to force players to only use transports in those sea zones.
Britain is able to fly planes across the English channel, they can reach Belgium or some French territories. If Germany advances far enough I suppose they are blocked, but I don't see it as a problem.
Why do we get notifications for receiving messages? I already get the sound for the message, then I'm excited to read a response, and its just a pointless notification. You can read and reply to a message, but you still get that message notification in a few minutes.
Its not a big deal by any means, just a minor annoyance.
2*HP + power was something I used before (when playing on a board game, when you have to do all the math on your own!)
Even then, you really need to factor what units die, if one side is losing more power than the other (a, its a big deal. Occasionally on World War 2 Revised, Germany attacking Russia looks like an even fight, but its heavily German favored (Germany loses low value 1 attack units, while Russia is losing 2 defense units).
If you want another interesting case, look at TWW. Its not uncommon for a heavily fortified Russian city to have fewer hitpoints and lower defense than an attacking German army, but still win the battle 90 to 100% of the time., due to a combination of targeted attacks and 'Skewness'. Even without targeted attacks, less complex abilities such as units supporting each other or having two hitpoints make a big difference.
I actually have a rough draft of regional divisions for the map already made. I was thinking if I rename territories, I could include the region they are a part of as well. So a new territory name would be something like
Warsaw (Northern Poland)
However, I think to make the region system easy to play with, I would need some help from an artist.
In actual game play, the Army A defeats Army B, and B defeats C, but A loses to C is virtually unheard of, so I wouldn't focus on this. It basically only happens if there are huge mismatches of power and fodder. A good player would be actively building to avoid this situation.
There isn't a great mystery on how to predict battle outcomes, especially if you are doing low luck only. Probability trees do it, most battles don't see more than 4 or 5 rounds of combat so they aren't difficult to use.
A few extremely common battles have been done out with a probability tree on the axis and allies forums (dice and low luck).
@CrazyG Sadly, that problem with sounds cannot be solved. Either you set it to NONE, and miss the conquered sound completely, or you can try to switch sounds on, turn on your volume, and skip until Italy, you'll see what I mean.
Here it is needed a developer to fix this problem. I guess I should open an issue in GitHub.
Can't you customize the sounds for your own map?
I could just replace the territory conquest sound with a blank sound file.
@CrazyG I just downloaded it and poked around a bit. Seems like a great start! Here are some initial thoughts:
- Great variety of abilities across the units. Most of the units feel really unique and seem to have a purpose not just 1 more attack or 1 more defense like many other maps.
- Unit images and the map are really nice. Things that could be improved though are better territory names (not just numbered by region), show names on the map, and better PU map symbol as the black numbers are pretty rough.
Renaming territories is on a long to change list.
- PU placement seems too uniform. Tons of 1s and 2s. Would probably play better to have more variation so it feels like I'm not just conquering another 1 PU territory.
This issue comes down to the sheer number of territories on the map. Initially I wanted all territories to be worth at least one PU, but Russia and the Ottomans end up with way too much income. Even after changing a ton of land to be worth 0, they still have so much that I really couldn't go and make parts of Russia worht 2 or 3. Maybe I could rescale the unit pricing?
- Lots of errors in the notes vs what is actually implemented such as the unit stats/abilities.
- I think naval units need some work/balancing. Cruisers are useless as much better to build subs or battlecruisers.
I'm looking at this now.
- Triggering nations to join certain turns is cool and adding tanks turn 5 is neat.
- You have some unowned territories in Morocco and Syria. Not sure if that is intentional.
- Most of North Africa besides Egypt is pretty much worthless and really feels like it shouldn't even be included.
Would you make them neutral? I can't just not include them on the map if I want Egypt (and I do want Egypt).
- Need to better identify canals on the map.
I agree, but I really don't have the tools to do much with unit images.
- Might want to make the neutral color a bit lighter or more beige so it contrasts more with Germany. Or make Germany a bit darker.