Iron War is now downloadable via TripleA.
This is my shot at a WW2 map. The map starts out in 1940, aims to have simple rules, be AI compatible, offer players a lot of options when it comes to playing the nations, and also be both singleplayer and multiplayer friendly. For example, it can be a challenge to just play a single Axis nation and have everyone else set to Fast/Hard AI. These are the players:
KNIL (Koninklijk Nederlands Indisch Leger)
• 10-sided dices
• Custom sounds and nation specific music.
• Around 25 different unit types (Not all players have access to all unit types)
• Special resources to purchase special units: Iron, Fuel, SS recruitment, Colonial recruitment, Soviet Officials and Kamikaze Pilots.
• Fuel resources to move land vehicle units and ships.
• No political changes during play (All Axis can attack all Allies from 1940)
• A timeline of events (unit unlocking + video ) that occur at the start of every half-year (round) from 1940 to 1947. By this time all unit types are in play, including nukes.)
• Many other map details can be learned by reading the map notes.
• Starting setup (All players should end up having a good change to survive a few rounds. And yes, therefor some nations have unhistorical good starting conditions.)
• Unit prices and stats. (Everything should be worth buying if possible)
• Fuel accessibility (Most players should thirst for more fuel around round 3-4)
• Iron accessibility. (Most players should want more Iron)
• Anything else?
v0.1 released via TripleA under "Experimental".
v0.1 to v0.1.1:
• Fix: Kamikaze-Planes can now land on carriers.
v0.1.1 to v0.1.2:
• All British-Colonies, French-Colonies and KNIL territories are now “originalOwner” of AI-Neutral. This means that if taken by the enemy and thereafter liberated, ownership goes to the liberator. This is to further strengthen the six major allied powers.
• North and South (Belgian) Congo are now unprotected AI-Neutral, capturable for free by France in round 1.
• Removed the land connection between Denmark and Sweden.
• Removed 1 German Transport from North Sea Zone.
• West Germany PU value reduced from 40 to 30.
• UK/Canadian starting production raised from. 64 to 70 PUs.
• Hawaii PU value raised to 5.
• Iceland PU raised to 5.
• Morocco is now a 5 PU Pro-Axis-Neutral territory.
• Peru PUs raised to 5.
• Mexico City PUs raised to 5.
• Sierra Leone renamed to Liberia and is now a 5 PU USA territory.
• Visayas renamed to Philippines and is now a 5 PU USA territory.
• A lot of minor changes.
• New timeline and events. See description in the notes.
• Added one new movie for round two.
v0.1.2 to v0.1.3:
• Added a “Map Option” to practically transfer the Balkan states to the German player from round 1.
• Siberia PU raised from 5 to 10.
• Irkutsk PU raised from 1 to 5.
• Irkutsk now has a Factory and 10 units.
• Removed 1 German transport from North Sea Zone
• Removed 15 infantry units from Germany
• Removed 5 infantry from Moscow
• Removed 3 infantry from Finland.
• A few more minor changes to start setup.
v0.1.3 to v0.1.4:
• Western New Guinea no longer has a KNIL factory.
• Western New Guinea and Papua New Guinea is now 2 PU territories, not 5 and 3.
• Darwin is now a 3 PU territory, not 2.
• Colonial-Infantry cost lowered from 7 to 6 PUs.
• Jet-Fighter cost raised from 19 to 20 PUs.
• All start of round videos are now followed by famous WW2 quotes underneath.
• Removed the free German factory in Romania that is placed if Germany plays with the Balkans as German. Also lowered the Balkan territories PU value if they become German.
• Some other minor changes, including a more guarded Italy from start.
v0.1.4 to v0.1.5:
• Added ”Truk” territory (5 PUs) in the pacific.
• Renamed Pacific Sea Zone territories to include Truk Lagoon Sea Zone.
• Hawaii and Truk now have starting factories.
• Bomber is now 7 attack not 8.
v0.1.5 to v0.1.6:
• Balkan states no longer have music and end of turn sounds (so these sounds will not play for the German player if the game is started with the option “Balkan states are German” while also starting the game with the Balkan states as that same human player. This lead to five unwanted music tracks being played simultaneously after German every player turn).
• Marines are now A2/D3 like Infantry, not A4/2D (still has amphibious +1A bonus)
• Transport is now 0A/1D, not 1A/1D.
• Added German, Italian and Japanese user actions to support each other with PUs.
• Added British user actions to support British-India and ANZAC with PUs.
• Added USA, Iraqi and Iranian possibility to support allies with Fuel. (AI compatible system)
• More fuel availability adjustments.
• Some other minor alterations.
v0.1.6 to v0.1.7:
• VC moved from Egypt to Somalia.
• Removed the Map Option “Balkan states are German”.
• Added player “Balkan” and removed the small Balkan players from the game. (They will return in Iron War: Europe!)
• Changed the colors of some nations
• Changed the order of play to have player turns be clustered in 3 axis and 3 allied phases.
• Some other minor changes and start setup.
v0.1.7 to v0.1.8:
• Submarines now require 2 steel to build, not 1.
• V1-Rocket attack lowered to 1(Still has 1-2 strategic bombing damage)
• V2-Rocket attack lowered to 2 (Still has 1-3 strategic bombing damage)
• KNIL now have new flags and markers, so they don’t look like South Africa.
• The concept of minor nations is no more. Now all players should be worth playing.
• Egypt is now controlled by British-Colonies, even though it might be hard to survive more than 3 rounds (unless British send a lot of Aid).
• VC moved from Iraq to Egypt.
• Some nation color changes.
• Some other starting unit placement changes.
v0.1.8 to v0.1.9:
• Removed USAs, Iraq’s and Iran’s “Fuel unit” purchase and support system.
• Implemented Fuel as an upkeep resource. (All Ships and Land vehicles now need fuel)
• Made it so all nations always have at least 1 Fuel to spend, so nations can not end up in a “locked” situation where all Fuel is used by land units and therefore makes it impossible to build a Transport to attack overseas.
• Strait of Malacca added to the map and is controlled by Malaya.
• Almost half of all convoy zones are now 10 PU territories instead of 5 PU.
• Many ship prices changed.
• Fighters, Dive-Bombers and Jet-Fighters cost 2 PUs more.
• All pictures of units, flag, resources etc. have been slightly outlined with more black border.
• ANZAC now has turn before KNIL.
• Added nation unique music for British-India.
• New USSR infantry unit picture.
• Added a new USSR unit, the Commissar. This unit can give 3 USSR infantry +1 attack and +1 defense. A new special resource called “Officials” is needed to create a Commissar.
v0.1.9 to v0.2.0:
• There are now 30 VC and holding 20 is a win condition.
• Smaller nations now have approximately 5 PUs more territory values from start, to make them more playable.
• Economical win is now at 650 PUs, not 600.
• Added 1 more USSR Commissariat to the map. This makes 4, and 5 is needed to make a Commissar every round.
• China now has a factory in the capital of Chungking, to make China able to hold ground against Japan.
• China can now build Fighters from start, and also start with 1 Fighter.
• China is now after USA turn, as USA can support China financially.
• The AI prefix of the neutral players is removed (Currently players should remember to set them as AI)
• USA Heavy-Tank unit picture made a bit smaller.
• SS Troops and Panzer now give Commissars -1 att./def, like all other units receives -1.
• SS Panzer now cost 25 SS, not 20.
• Tank-Destroyer lowered 1 PU in cost.
• The Anti-Air gun can now move during combat and is much cheaper. (But currently a bug prevents it from being useful in attack as it only shoots in the first round).
• Changed the start unit setup and economical conditions a bit.
v0.2.0 to v0.2.1:
• Iron War is no longer labeled as BETA.
• The Commissar is no longer artillery supportable.
• Liberia is changed back to (British) Sierra Leone and PU value is lowered from 5 to 2.
• Unit width in map.properties now set to 60 instead of 54 to make it easier to click units.
• AA unit now has new stats.
• New map startup sound has replaced the longer music intro.
• Added new hidden steps in between all players start of turns, to ensure that the music of every player nation is played at start of their turn, even if a human controls two nation that has turn right after each other. Previously only the first nation would have its music played.
• AI controlled players are now hidden at game setup menu.
v0.2.1 to v0.2.2:
• Trondheim-Narvik is now a 1 PU territory, not 2.
• Norway is now a 5 PU territory, not 3.
• Norway is now True-Neutral.
• Norway is now a VC and Irkutsk is no longer a VC.
• Removed 1 British Patrol-Boat from Celtic Sea.
• Removed 1 British Oil-Barrel from Egypt.
• Added 1 German Fighter to West Germany.
• Replaced 1 French Battleship with 1 French Destroyer in Bay of Biscay.
• Change the unit start setup at the USSR-Japan border.
v0.2.2 to v0.2.3:
• Corrected a typing error in the notes (Kamikaze pilots are obtainable from round 9, not round 6).
• Fixed a graphical error that could occur when South Africa captured a convoy zone.
• British Colonies Colonial-Infantry now looks different and is now more distinguishable from the normal British Colonies Infantry.
• Tank-Destroyers are now listed in purchase screen before the Light, Medium and Heavy Tanks, not after.
• The Anti-Air unit now costs 8 PUs, not 7.
• Japan now gets 1 Kamikaze recruitment poster in round 9, 10 and 11, not only 1 in round 9. This means that Japan can recruit 3 pilots per round from round 11 / early 1945.
• Aklavik (in North West Canada) renamed to Fort Norman
• The map uses the resource option “isDisplayedFor” to keep nation specific resources only visible to certain players.
• Fuel system has been changed. Now ships and land vehicles use 1 fuel to move one territory, and planes pay half of their full potential movement in fuel when moved.
• Other minor changes.
v0.2.3 to v0.2.4:
• The Anti-Air unit now costs 9 PUs, not 8.
• Added some more Fuel barrels on the map.
• Romania is now a 20 PU territory, not 10 PU.
• Italy is now a 40 PU territory, not 50 PU.
• Siberia is now a 10 PU territory, not 5 PU.
• Brazil is now a 10 PU territory, not 5 PU.
• Start setup changes.
v0.2.4 to v0.2.5:
• USSR Siberia 10 to 15 PUs
• Added more fuel barrels controlled by USA, Iraq and Iran.
• Added ability for several nations to transfer fuel to other nations.
• Added “Submarine-Pen” to the 3 major Axis powers to strengthen Axis at Sea. They give 1 Free Submarine per turn.
• Other minor changes.
v0.2.5 to v 0.2.6:
• Added “Airfield” unit, a new counterpart to the Axis Submarine-Pens. Airfields spawn 1 free Air-Transport every turn, give all air units +1 move, are destroyed upon capture, and are placed in USSR Siberia, UK Halifax and USA North Atlantic.
• Added the option for some minor powers to ship 1 iron each to major powers. The exporter-importer relations are as follows:
Balkan -> Germany
Finland -> Germany
British-Colonies -> Britain
British-India -> Britain
South-Africa -> Britain
French-Colonies -> France
KNIL -> ANZAC
Thailand -> Japan
China -> USA
Brazil -> USA
v0.2.6 to v0.2.7:
• Airfields no longer give +1 move to aircraft.
• "Units Can Load In Hostile Sea Zones" is now "true".
• Hebrides no longer has a land connection to Scotland.
• Lake Ladoga, Lake Onega, Lake Ontario and Lake Erie are now impassible land territories, so naval placements in these territories are no longer possible. (This does not affect air moves as there was never any tactical advantage in flying over them anyway.)
• Darwin is now a 5 PUs territory, not 2. (Factory placement is now possible here.)
• Melbourne is now a 3 PUs territory, not 5.
• North Queensland is now a 2 PUs territory, not 3.
v0.2.7 to v0.2.8:
• 3 USSR Infantry units starting out in Siberia have been moved 1 territory away, in three directions, so that they cannot be used to “rush” Iran.
• Territory name change from “Saskatchewan” to “Winnipeg”.
• Territory name change from “Wabakimi” to “Port Arthur”.
• Territory name change from “Victoria” to ”Vancouver”.
• Changed minimap look (smaller units, brighter territories and brighter viewer).
• ANZAC Fuel barrels in Sydney changed from 3 to 2.
• ANZAC Fuel barrels in South Queensland changed from 2 to 1.
• ANZAC Fuel barrels in Peru changed from 2 to 1.
• USA Fuel barrels in Colombia changed from 5 to 3
• USA Fuel barrels in Venezuela changed from 15 to 7
• Italy Fuel barrels in Italy changed from 3 to 5.
• German Fuel barrels in Romania changed from 15 to 12
(Total fuel change: Allies -13 and Axis -1)
v0.2.8 to v0.2.9:
• Added a new purchasable Fuel resource producing unit called Synthetic-Fuel. It costs 5 PUs and produces 1 Fuel per turn thereafter.