I have taken Black_Elks suggestions into consideration about a smaller version / theater version of Iron War. Maybe it could also be a bit simpler and faster to play. So I have begun making Iron War: Europe! I know that Iron War is probably not all done, but maybe parallel work on them both would benefit both maps. I am not that far in the process, only the relief and the basic map is done, no XML or file structure yet.
Here are my first thought on this map:
- I have tried to make a map that could be used as a WW1 map also. So the territories/borders are drawn to be WW1 compatible. Maybe the only thing needed will to be to change some territory names, like Stalingrad and Leningrad.
- Maybe have rounds be like “Spring 1940”, “Summer 1940”, etc. Or since it would take the Germans more than two rounds to invade all of France, maybe 1 round = 1 month?
- Use the same unit cost and stats.
- Still have unit need fuel and Steel.
- 3+3 major players: USA, Britain, USSR, Germany, Italy, Finland.
- Maybe have France be a passive AI player. If France was not on the allied team, morocco could be capturable, and the French territories in Europe could be factory placement ready for the Allies when captured.
- Maybe just have neutrals fill out the rest, or maybe have a bunch of small Pro-Axis and Pro-Allies AI minor players in the Balkans like Greece, Yugoslavia as well as the Pro-Axis small states from Iron War. They could all be “occupied” by neutrals, until “liberated” by Germans or Allies.
- Maybe let territories produce both PUs and an equal amount of Navy PUs (NPUs?) that was the currency for ships. This could “force” all players to build fleets and fight on sea.
- Implement Airfields and Harbors with +1 (or 2) movement to units. USA could invade a European territory in two rounds. If USA or England wanted to go to Morocco, then it would take 2 rounds from England/Wales.
- Have PU producing sea buoys to protect / capture.
What are peoples first thoughts about this? Even if people don’t know iron War, ideas would be welcome. Also, I got some questions:
• Can players use allied harbors to receive +1 move?
• Is a harbor in game terms a sea unit or a land unit?
• How do airfields work? Gives + movement to air units?
• Can Harbors and Airfield also function as factories?
• Can a territory produce both PUs and another resource like NPUs?
ALL above text is outdated. The map development is done. The outcome is a bit different than first envisioned, but it has only changed for the better
BETA version to release v1.0.0:
• Added missing sea connections that form Strait of Messina.
• British Colonial-Infantry now looks different and is now more distinguishable from the normal British Colonies Infantry.
• Tank-Destroyers are now listed in purchase screen before the Light, Medium and Heavy Tanks, not after.
• The Anti-Air unit now costs 9 PUs, not 7.
• The map uses the resource option “isDisplayedFor” to keep nation specific resources only visible to certain players.
• Fuel system has been changed. Now ships and land vehicles use 1 fuel to move one territory, and planes pay half of their full potential movement in fuel when moved.
• More PUs have been added to many map territories.
• Other minor changes.