Big world 2: Rise of the axis (russian winter national advantage)



  • The impossibility of attack any territory with russian troops should be constrained to original russian territories, not the conquered ones. That is why russian winter has a name: Russian. Historically speaking, if the russian winter were the same in whole europe, Napoleon nor Hitler would have trouble with it.

    By the way, it should be a better idea to replace the Russian winter unit by a dialog box, just to avoid the bug that I explained in other entries.

    Thanks in advance for your attention.

    Kind regards.


  • Donators Moderators Admin

    @mario-rafael-herrera-vaca

    I doubt any one is gonna change winter in the Big World 2 maps. However, Big World 3 : Final Solution will have winter that's functions quite differently. It won't be a one time event either.

    ♦ Restructured Russian front scenario to be more realistic. Launch your major offensives in the spring to maximize your gains in the Russian theatre. Where the first winter begins on round 3 (winter,1942) and returns every 4th round from there. There is a 90% chance of moderate winter conditions and a 10% chance of severe winter conditions. Russia is immune to moderate winter while all other nations receive penalties for fighting in moderate winter. All nations including Russia will receive penalties for fighting during a severe winter. Winter only affects original Russian territories, plus Eastern Europe, Scandinavia and some bordering sea zones.

    (currently based on 18 sided dice)

    Moderate Winter Climate Penalties:

    1. Russia is completely immune.
    2. All other nations suffer penalties for infantry and marine units of minus 3 attack and minus 3 defend. Artillery is immune. Armour, haltrack, and tiger units, receive minus 3 attack, no blitzes in affected territories. All naval units minus 3 attack and minus 3 defend.
    3. Swedish neutral infantry is completely immune.

    Severe Winter Climate Penalties:

    1. Russia suffers penalties for all land and air units except for artillery which is immune, of minus 3 attack, and no blitzes in affected territories. All naval units minus 3 attack and minus 3 defend, no new naval units allowed to move into affected seazones.
    2. All other nations suffer penalties for all land, air units, except for artillery which is immune, of minus 6 attack and minus 3 defend, no blitzes in affected territories, and no new air units allowed to move into affected land or sea territories. All naval units minus 6 attack and minus 3 defend, and no new naval units allowed to move into affected seazones.
    3. Swedish neutral infantry is completely immune.


  • @general_zod I don´t know if you are involved in the development of the Big World 3, but if you are, i suggest you to take a look into my other posts, (specially the one related to german wolfpack national advantages).

    I am very pleased with the posibility of produce trains in the WAW vXXX v1.7.5, because (if we constrain to historical facts) the main reason from germany to be in war with poland was the refusal of this country to construct a railroad from germany to estern prusia (called Koeningsberg) in the WAW map. I would like to see trains in the big world 3.

    Thanks in advance for your attention.

    Kind regards.


  • Donators Moderators Admin

    @mario-rafael-herrera-vaca

    Yes, I'm currently developing Big World 3. Regarding submarines, I'm currently experimenting with a somewhat radical idea which should really improve the battle of the Atlantic and has nice potential for submarine tactics elsewhere too. I won't go into to much detail, since nothing is final yet.

    But it involves making submarines much more realistic and hard to kill. They will be able to block surface fleets movements, block transports from loading and unloading, perhaps prevent coastal bombardment as well. They will be able to take control of convoy centers and blockade income form coastal territories .

    However any of these surface actions make them completely vulnerable to any attack, even without a destroyer. But any subs that survive one combat round of surface battle may submerge, even if a destroyer is present. This will reduce the chance of 1 destroyer and its support wiping out a stack of subs by preventing their submerge.

    If the submarines choose to hide in new underwater sea zones they will be harder to kill. But if they choose to do so they will not be able do much, besides pose a potential future threat. The only surface unit that can actively hunt subs while they are in underwater sea zone, is a destroyer equipped with depth charges. The submarine can not defend vs depth charges, their only hope is, that they are missed by the barrage of shock waves. Sonar technology will make submarines captains have nightmares, as this will increase depth charges chances of success.

    So subs are not considered too over powered. Submarine defensive 1st strike is removed. 1st strike will be strictly a offensive ability for subs. Subs will be able to engage enemy subs underwater and the attacking sub has the edge. Subpens and improved sub technology will be available as well, and luck will not play a factor in their development, only resource management will. As far as wolfpack tactics go, I am undecided since this model makes subs much more potent, it might not be necessary to give them a bonus. But I will see.

    Since this will be a medium scale map, with a goal of 15 to 20 rounds for an average game. I have to limit complexity in order to achieve this. However my hope is, it will still be more historically accurate than previous medium scale maps and remain asymmetrically balanced, challenging, intuitive and fun to play.


  • Donators Moderators Admin

    Haha, oh yes. One more thing to mention, the name Big World really doesn't signify large scale map as it used to. This map will be small compared to some of the present large ones, and tiny compared to what's on the drawing board. I'm just keeping the name since people are familiar with Big World 1 & 2.