Renaming a tech - Resolved -

• destroyersCanBombard is an example in POS2 of a renamed tech (destroyerBombard).

It is unclear why you would rename a tech.

Is it just for display to the player in game?
    or is there some other thing I don't yet understand?

If just for display why is the example not formatted as "Destroyers Can Bombard "?

• Admin

@mahks

I don't think this would be commonly used if at all. It does not appear to be display related though.

Only reason I can think of using this would be to bypass some hardcoded feature of that particular tech. But that's just a guess.

• @Mahks
    I believe this is just for display in the 'Stats' panel. I have used it to rename 'paratroopers' to 'AirTransportation' and 'mechanizedInfantry' to 'GroundTransportation'. But if you put a space in the rename then the XML errors out.

Cheers...

• Admin

@wc_sumpton

In this case we are referring to the specific example below from POS2.

<!-- (destroyerBombard allows isDestroyer to bombard) this is an example of renaming a technology. the first part is the new name, the second is the old name (the hardcoded tech's name) -->
     <techname name="destroyersCanBombard" tech="destroyerBombard"/>

The issue is it does not change it in the game display.

EDIT: Ooops, never mind misread it, the first part is the new name. Seems a bit strange in formatting though. You are correct.

• Admin

Yeah, my understanding is this is just for display purposes and only relevant to hard coded techs.

Looks like your connection to TripleA Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.