Game of Thrones

• Donators

While poking around at GitHub I seen a couple 'Bug Reports' about this map. There seemed to be some answers given for the 'Bugs' but no correction made. I placed a pull request for the 'polygons.txt' file and a new xml with corrected connections a couple days ago.

Another thing are there are no notes or unit information listed for the player. There is a copy also on @RogerCooper site, it also has the same problems as the one on GitHub.

So...
    0_1532377933693_NewMenu.png

Just for show...

Cheers...

• Donators

@wc_sumpton There is another slightly improved version that you have called "A Song of Ice and Fire".

This would be a good scenario to revisit once the series ends. This scenario needs alliances, maintenance costs, limits on building unusual units. Look at Greyhawk Wars for the right way to do fantasy in TripleA,

• Donators

@rogercooper
    Yes I have seen that one and have located and downloaded a copy. It uses the same map (almost, some territories added and a bit bigger). Also someone at one time tied to add walls, tech and politics to this map (it was called v2.0).

My first thought was to clean up the original, I have made no gameplay changes. Then I was going to look over v2.0. With the engine improvements both map may be able to be combined into a single xml. If not, then it will be a mod for this map.

Because ASoIaF has map changes I was going to leave that for last as a separate map.

Those are my plans. Wish me luck.

Cheers...

P.S. I hope that I am not stepping on your toes doing this. I know there is a link to this map on your web site. It just seemed like a fun project!☺

• Donators Moderators Admin

@wc_sumpton would be a nice project to see done with an eye for detail. Excited to see what you come up with.

• Moderators

@wc_sumpton Really looking forward to this. I think this game should play the best Feudal Japan style (true FFA, 1 power per player, rest to AI), especially now that the AI is decent (much better situation than when the map was originally made).

You should be able to find the original author username in the old developer forum. I clearly recall he was there.

• Moderators

@wc_sumpton Original Author: Al

• Donators

@wc_sumpton Can you post here as an attachment the xml for Game of Thrones 2.0. I don't have that in my files.

• Donators

• Donators

Still here and still working on this map. I have created an issue in GitHub to request ownership.
    Thing that I have been working on...

1. Recreating the map.
      I am thinking about enlarging it 50% or 100%, making the rivers more distinct and using them as borders to detour crossings and create more bottlenecks for combat.

2. A three tiered military system for the Westeros kingdoms.
      Trained Units - Expensive only recruitable at castles gives support to Levy Units.
      Levy (Untrained) Units - Cheep from forts
      Mercenary Units - Middle costing, don't work well with trained units.

Sorry for the delays RL has stepped in. Hopefully more to come!

Cheers...

• Moderators

@wc_sumpton I'm thinking that this map, especially since a big FFA, may well benefit from a relatively minor and simple upkeep cost system, like the one of House of Habsburg (that I'm playing right now in lobby). I played several games of this in the past, and late on the stacks tended to become a bit crazy, even tho playing with AI (all non human players to AI) helps a lot keeping down the stacks (but this is mostly because the AI is not FFA behaving).
    Anyways, since you cannot demobilize units, upkeep costs need to be a small portion of the production costs (like in HoH).

• Donators

@cernel
    Thanks for the heads up. I will definitely keep upkeep cost in mind.

Cheers...