More info for error log
I got this error (tldr i misspelled a territory)
Oct 06, 2019 1:12:59 PM games.strategy.engine.framework.ui.GameChooserEntry fullyParseGameData SEVERE: Could not parse:file:/C:/Users/ckimb/triplea/downloadedMaps/XCOM-master/map/games/XCOM.xml games.strategy.engine.data.GameParseException: map name: 'file:/C:/Users/ckimb/triplea/downloadedMaps/XCOM-master/map/games/XCOM.xml', game name: 'XCOM', Unexpected Exception while setting values for attachmentRulesAttachment attached to:PlayerID named:Europeans with name:rulesAttachment at games.strategy.engine.data.GameParser.newGameParseException(GameParser.java:108) at games.strategy.engine.data.GameParser.setValues(GameParser.java:1269) at games.strategy.engine.data.GameParser.parseAttachments(GameParser.java:1219) at games.strategy.engine.data.GameParser.parseMapDetails(GameParser.java:200) at games.strategy.engine.data.GameParser.parse(GameParser.java:97) at games.strategy.engine.data.GameParser.parse(GameParser.java:91) at games.strategy.engine.framework.ui.GameChooserEntry.fullyParseGameData(GameChooserEntry.java:52) at games.strategy.engine.framework.startup.ui.panels.main.game.selector.GameSelectorPanel.lambda$selectGameFile$7(GameSelectorPanel.java:271) at games.strategy.engine.framework.ui.background.BackgroundTaskRunner.lambda$runInBackground$0(BackgroundTaskRunner.java:50) at games.strategy.engine.framework.ui.background.BackgroundTaskRunner$1.doInBackground(BackgroundTaskRunner.java:121) at javax.swing.SwingWorker$1.call(Unknown Source) at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source) at javax.swing.SwingWorker.run(Unknown Source) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source) at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source) at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source) Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: No territory called:Hungary-Romanians for: RulesAttachment attached to:PlayerID named:Europeans with name:rulesAttachment at games.strategy.triplea.attachments.AbstractRulesAttachment.getListedTerritories(AbstractRulesAttachment.java:408) at games.strategy.triplea.attachments.AbstractRulesAttachment.validateNames(AbstractRulesAttachment.java:358) at games.strategy.triplea.attachments.AbstractPlayerRulesAttachment.setMovementRestrictionTerritories(AbstractPlayerRulesAttachment.java:115) at games.strategy.engine.data.MutableProperty.setStringValue(MutableProperty.java:60) at games.strategy.engine.data.MutableProperty.setValue(MutableProperty.java:88) at games.strategy.engine.data.GameParser.setValues(GameParser.java:1265) ... 14 more
That is at least the fourth territory that I have misspelt. It would be nice if it showed them all at once, instead of having to fix that one, load the map again, fix the next, etc. I had a similar issue with another error, though that one was missing a >, so that might actually break the game's ability to parse it properly.
@ff03k64 What program are you using to edit the XML? Many programs will do some sort of auto-complete to help minimize typos like that (I use Notepad++).
But yeah currently the parsing fails immediately at the first error it hits so doesn't see any further errors. Its a fair point but I think would require a fairly large change to force it to parse the entire XML and collect all the errors.
It's a good change even if a bit painful to code. it's certainly better UX to display all errors in one go rather than just one at a time (https://ux.stackexchange.com/questions/96110/displaying-errors-to-a-user-one-at-a-time-or-all-at-once)
And I realize that not all errors will be able to properly get reported one at a time, like the second one i listed. Something might accidentally end up in a comment or something because of the first error.
I use notepad++, but often there are enough things that are just one letter off, or just different at the end of a name (Romania vs. Romanians) that i just tend to keep typing. Or it isn't showing up in the auto complete because i got the second letter wrong, ... Or ... I might just be lazy sometimes!