Roger's Scenario Thread
Scenario Classic Iron Blitz 1942A; Russia Neutral
Download Repository/Experimental/Classic Variations
Description Germany & Japan vs UK & US
- Classic rules
- Without Russia, the game lacks strategic tension
Scenario Big World-April 1940
Description Another Big World Scenario
- Fairly standard unit capabilities
- Like most Big World scenarios, it favors the Axis because it takes too long for the Americans to accomplish anything
@RogerCooper Especially since there we are talking about an early development stage (it is labelled as version 0.x), I wouldn't consider 300BC as a separate map. It is just the old way 270BC was called. Sometimes maps get their names changed overtime; I don't think this should necessarily make for a new map, otherwise you would be rating each single released version of any maps (so, you would have a lot of TWWs to rate, for example).
Just giving my opinion. If I would be making a map, and eventually change its name, I don't think I would see it like I've made a second map, and if someone would ask me why I've stopped developing the "first" map, I would just tell him "dude, I've just changed its name". The guy that made 270BC just initially called it 300BC. Btw, the two major bad points of this version of what would be 270BC are rather that the map is way unbalanced in favour of AntiRomans and warelephants are too cheap; at 12 PUs and 4/4 I would hardly buy any other land units, especially since warelephants are exceptionally good marines (you can ship 1 warelephant and 1 swordman, for total 16 TUV, on a 12 PUs ship).
But it would be better if names never get changed, to keep it clear.
Of course agree with the stack problem, for 270BC in general, coupled with the spam problem of the 1/1/1 cost 2 units (slingers/peltasts), tho not having air helps a lot in burning down units (because you use more land units to trade), especially if you play with regular dice (as the settings are). A minor issue for this version (no support for them yet) is that cataphract are so costly you would virtually never buy them.
So, personally, unless you plan to keep archived all the various versions of 270BC, I would remove this 300BC map, since it is just the very old 270BC. If there is an intermediate version of 270BC that rather deserves to be kept available, I would say it is the 1.3.1 one.
@Cernel I put a note on my wiki indicating that the scenario is superseded.
The problems with low movement allowances and absurdly large stacks are also in 270 BC.
Scenario NWO Doomsday
Description Hypotherical WW3 in Europe
- Not just another WW2 scenario
- The Communists are too strong
- No effort made to make the units any different than WW2.
Scenario Big World Small's 1939
Description World War II on the Big World Map
- Well balanced
- Income spread out resulting in fighting all over the map
- A historical income values
Scenario Ur-Quan Slave War
Description Large-scale space opera
- Interesting setting, see List of Star Control Races*
- Nice unit art
- Significant differences between players
- Each individual race has few unit choices
- All units are 'ground' units, limiting tactical options
- Favors the alliance significantly
Scenario Star Wars: Tatooine War (4teams)
Description Competing powers fight for control of Tatooine
Download Repository/Good/Stars Wars: Tatooine
- Star Wars!
- Interesting unit types
- Achievable victory conditions
- Low unit density makes for fast play
- Oddly, you can't get some parts of the planet from space
Description Battle of Stalingrad in 1942/43
- No effort to handle as an operational game. Most income is from contestable areas, there is no limit on combat rounds, no sense of supply limitations, no terrain
- No victory conditions
Scenario The World at War 1941
Description World War II on a large map.
Download Repository/High Quality/World at War
- Simple & fast-playing
- Victory conditions defined
- Has an annoying (but harmless) error when loading
- Favors the Axis (Russia is too weak)
@RogerCooper "The World at War 1941"? That is not a game of the "World At War" map in High Quality repository for sure.
Maybe you are thinking at the 1941 setup of the "The World at War" map, by ezell?
On this matter, @Schulz do you still have your mod of that game? Maybe uploading it to repository? I remember to have played it a while ago.
Schulz last edited by
Yes but it was unfinished map so no need to add it to the repository.
@Cernel Your right, I referenced the old file The_World_at_War.zip
@Schulz I seem to recall it was fairly playable, but I hardly remember. If not the official repository, I guess @RogerCooper wouldn't mind adding it to his one. What was the problem with the original ezell, or anyways the aim of the mod, btw, just to refresh my memory?
Scenario Big World: 1942 - Logistics Mod
Description World War 2 with supply rules
- Adds Supply Rules
- Supply rules slow the game with little effect on play
The problem is that supply can be traced to any same nation factory, at the end of the player-turn, through any friendly land area or empty sea area. It is too hard to actually knock someone out of supply. It would probably be better if supply could control only traced to some staring factories, with effect at the start of the turn, but make the effect less than total elimination.
Scenario World at War Variant-Fuel-AA-Range
Description World War 2 on a large map with fuel rules
Download Repository/Experimental/World at War Variants
- Fuel rules implemented well
- Many unit types
- The AI gets confused by some of the unit types
- Map oddities
Scenario WWIIv3 1941 Move-Then-Buy
Description Anniversary Edition with slightly different order of play
- Fast-playing renditon of the boardgame
- Its tough to be the Russians
Scenario NSP v4
Description Germany & Russia vs UK, USA & Japan on AAR map
- Fast-playing, Hypothetical situation
- Hard for the Axis to the offensive at sea
Scenario Lord of the Rings Middle Earth
Description A multiplayer game of Tolkien's War of the Ring
Download Repository/High Quality/Middle Earth
- Nice map and unit art
- Image loading glitches
- Balrogs, Nazgul & Wizards are normal buildable units
- No effort to reflect pre-gunpowder warfare
- Hard for the Evil side to win
Scenario Age of Tribes: Modern
Description An abstract game of warfare in Europe with Civilization style technological development
Download Repository/Age of Tribes/Good Quality
- Interesting variety of units
- Tech options
- Low unit density
- Dull strategic situation, with one side of the map against the other side of the map
- Tech develops fast compared to strategic situation