Guests joining games in progress crash them

• Moderators

Lately it frequently happens to me that I see people joining and leaving my host immediately, making it crash. Games getting stuck is an old story, but I don't recall it ever happened in the past with such frequency, or at least not it being related to guest just joining to observe. This is the conversation I had about it, right now in the lobby. I think this is a pretty major issue, if really that frequent, and I will post the error log next time it happens to me:

(18.25.51) Cernel: the guy joining and leaving crashed the game, brb
    (18.26.29) Cernel: it's bock up
    (18.27.22) epinikion: hi Cernel, often it comes back after a while
    (18.27.23) Cernel: You just slapped samstreeter
    (18.27.33) epinikion: hoping for you
    (18.27.52) Cernel: I'm playing in my private host; so I'm lucky to have the autosave myself and I killed it with taskmanager
    (18.28.00) epinikion: uh ok
    (18.28.04) epinikion: nt a bot
    (18.28.13) Cernel: yep thankfully
    (18.28.24) epinikion: at least
    (18.28.28) Cernel: does it happen often
    (18.28.40) epinikion: such joining leaving attacks hurt
    (18.28.40) Cernel: that people joining games in progress clearly not having the map crash the whole game?
    (18.28.52) epinikion: too often i would say
    (18.28.52) Cernel: I believe it must be that they don't have the map
    (18.29.07) Cernel: practually what sometimes happen to me
    (18.29.09) epinikion: i dont know if thats the only reason
    (18.29.13) Cernel: is that I'm playing a game
    (18.29.18) epinikion: but yes thats almost always the reason
    bayder has left
    Curro has left
    (18.29.33) Cernel: and someone joins and leave it immediately (he probably joined not having the map)
    (18.29.45) Cernel: and I get a java error/exception
    (18.29.52) Cernel: and the game is stuck
    (18.30.01) Cernel: is this what happens in bots too?
    (18.30.13) epinikion: same in bot just no java message
    (18.30.20) Cernel: ah
    (18.30.29) Cernel: I remember in the past this was not happening
    (18.30.43) epinikion: i would agree
    (18.30.46) Cernel: it is something that happens since I guess no more than 1 year?
    (18.30.57) epinikion: could be
    (18.31.02) Cernel: at least not so frequently
    (18.31.21) epinikion: well in the past when i havent the map i could not join
    paragon has joined
    (18.31.57) epinikion: i am not sure if the players w/o Map see themselves joining
    JackariahHooch has joined
    (18.32.10) epinikion: but when i play in the bot
    (18.32.13) epinikion: i see theier names

• Moderators

@Cernel A user without the map (I assume from the immediate leaving of the same) just joined my host, but this time I don't seem to have had any issues.

• Admin

I suspect this could be people with the latest pre-release joining the latest release. IMO we should probably update it so that 1.10 clients do not join the 1.9 lobby.

• Donators

@LaFayette

That should be easy to test. I don't want to do it and crash someones game though : )

• Donators Moderators Admin

@LaFayette Actually I would suspect it is peeps deliberately crashing the game and have witnessed it myself as well. Generally occurs if they don't have the map or have a really old engine.

• Moderators

It just happened. A user joined and left my host immediately, and the game froze, except only that I can still scroll the board.

Console:

giu 16, 2019 4:06:11 AM games.strategy.engine.framework.ServerGame lambda$addObserver$1
    GRAVE: Failed to join game
    java.lang.RuntimeException: Exception on remote
    	at games.strategy.engine.message.UnifiedInvocationHandler.invoke(UnifiedInvocationHandler.java:54)
    	at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy26.joinGame(Unknown Source)
    	at games.strategy.engine.framework.ServerGame.lambda$addObserver$1(ServerGame.java:205)
    	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
    Caused by: games.strategy.engine.message.ConnectionLostException: Connection to AnthonyNeyra lost
    	at games.strategy.engine.message.UnifiedMessengerHub.connectionRemoved(UnifiedMessengerHub.java:176)
    	at games.strategy.net.AbstractServerMessenger.notifyConnectionsChanged(AbstractServerMessenger.java:493)
    	at games.strategy.net.AbstractServerMessenger.removeConnection(AbstractServerMessenger.java:655)
    	at games.strategy.net.AbstractServerMessenger.socketError(AbstractServerMessenger.java:672)
    	at games.strategy.net.nio.NioSocket.error(NioSocket.java:91)
    	at games.strategy.net.nio.NioReader.loop(NioReader.java:122)
    	... 1 more

• Admin

Hard to say based on that stack trace, errors in the unifiedInvocationHandler tend to be compatibility issues.

• Moderators

Again:

giu 19, 2019 1:00:21 AM games.strategy.engine.framework.ServerGame lambda$addObserver$1
    GRAVE: Failed to join game
    java.lang.RuntimeException: Exception on remote
    	at games.strategy.engine.message.UnifiedInvocationHandler.invoke(UnifiedInvocationHandler.java:54)
    	at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy26.joinGame(Unknown Source)
    	at games.strategy.engine.framework.ServerGame.lambda$addObserver$1(ServerGame.java:205)
    	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
    Caused by: games.strategy.engine.message.ConnectionLostException: Connection to dermarc lost
    	at games.strategy.engine.message.UnifiedMessengerHub.connectionRemoved(UnifiedMessengerHub.java:176)
    	at games.strategy.net.AbstractServerMessenger.notifyConnectionsChanged(AbstractServerMessenger.java:493)
    	at games.strategy.net.AbstractServerMessenger.removeConnection(AbstractServerMessenger.java:655)
    	at games.strategy.net.AbstractServerMessenger.socketError(AbstractServerMessenger.java:672)
    	at games.strategy.net.nio.NioSocket.error(NioSocket.java:91)
    	at games.strategy.net.nio.NioReader.loop(NioReader.java:122)
    	... 1 more